Do I Need A New Roof?
A new roof is a daunting expense for any family. The average price of a new roof rose to over $14,000 in 2021, according to the home services directory Angi. However, a greater Cincinnati area roof replacement service may cost you less. Regardless, You don’t want to shell out that kind of money unless you have to. So how do you know when you have to? First off, have a trusted roofing contractor inspect your roof. For your greater Cincinnati home, schedule a free roof inspection with American Home Tech for a comprehensive report on the condition of your roof. Otherwise, there are a variety of other signs indicating it may be time to replace your roof:
Check your attic first. Look for light coming through the top of the house or stains and streaks. If the roof or underside of roof decking is drooping or sagging, it needs to be replaced before your home is damaged further. Examine the surface for trapped moisture, rotting boards, especially at the lowest points in the roof. Other indications of roof leaks are as follows:
- Water Stains in ceilings or walls
- Dripping sounds
- Mold growing in ceilings/ walls
- High humidity levels indoors
- Musty Smell indoors
*** Many people ignore small pinhole leaks that don’t do much damage, but they will continue to grow and eventually cost you more money in the long run. ***
Other things to check for!
– There are bald spots where granules are missing. Check the gutters and downspouts for shingle granules and pieces- the more granules, the sooner you need to consider a replacement. This is one reason cleaning your gutters is important.
– The shingle edges are curled or the tabs are cupped. As shingles age, they start to deteriorate. For wood and asphalt shingles the most common sign that they have reached the end of their life is curling of the edges. If you see this happening to more than a couple of stray shingles you are in need of a roof replacement very soon. When a few shingles are missing, it’s likely that the rest of them are also aging and not in the best shape.